Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thursday - blog 4 Microsoft ?'s

(1) How do you currently use technology in the classroom, if at all? If so, what technologies? How many students have access to PCs at home?

I currently have an iMac with connections to a document camera and a projector, and a reasonable selection of software on the computer, as a staff computer. I also have about 10 older PC computers I had been awarded through a TLP grant back in 2001! They are wireless, and I have a networked printer to my computer. However, we don't have a networked (or otherwise)printer connected to the lab computers. In time I hope to have probeware hooked to those PCs.

As for student access, we have a computer lab with 24 stations - a mix of PCs and Macs. There are several other sites in the building that have Macs of PCs that are specific teacher's rooms but are accessable on occasion. Home access MAY be about 90% - it is hard to say. I certianly have many students who have amazing access, and there are others who claim that they can't do assignments that require the computer b/c they don't have access. My real concern at this point is the district policies regarding access. We currently have a filter called BESS that is used to block out much of the Web 2.0 activities. If this is as extensive as I think it may be, the new activities I have in mind may have to be homework from outside the building. I also would have to design my sites etc. away from the building as my access is just as limited as the students. Our system is built on Macs AND PCs, where every computer stands alone, rather than stations that feed back to a logged in access.

(2) Is your school leadership supportive of your individual use of technology in teaching and learning?

The principal is VERY tech minded and quite savy himself and therefore appears to be very supportive. My only concern is about access, which has been diminishing over time.

(3) Where did you get information about ICT in the classroom or about technology (before this PD, of course!)?

Most of my recent access has been through the Web itself as I explore. I use the Web constantly as a teaching resource for information, but not for new tools. I have not had much formal PD on technology since 2000, other than some exposure last summer through another grant. I am now far more equipped to find information and tools to assist me.

(4) Would you be interested in connecting online with other teachers from around the state/region/world with similar interests?

Absolutely!

1 comment:

  1. I know that both Mary Jane and Robin are working on involving the principals in this grant so they can see the power of Web 2.0, etc, and help get some things on board. It sounds like your most difficult challenge is going to be with the limited access.

    Good luck with the start of the school year!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete